The thought of having your car rollover in an accident is naturally terrifying, and the reality is that these accidents are exceedingly dangerous. Serious accidents beget serious injuries, and rollover accidents – one of the deadliest types of traffic accidents – are no exception. If another driver’s negligence leaves you injured in a rollover accident, consult with a knowledgeable San Francisco car accident lawyer today.
Rollovers: The Statistics
According to safercar.gov, which is powered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), rollovers have a higher fatality rate than do other kinds of traffic accidents. In fact, the statistics are quite grim, including that:
- More than 10,000 people are killed annually in rollover accidents.
- Rollovers account for a third of all traffic fatalities involving passenger vehicles.
- Popular vehicles like SUVs and light trucks, which are taller and narrower, are far more likely to roll over in accidents.
Fortunately, this website also forwards some hopeful news, including that you reduce your risk of being in a rollover by adhering to the speed limit and by not driving while impaired. Further, you have a far greater chance of surviving a rollover if you are wearing your seatbelt.
Victims of rollovers can sustain nearly any kind of serious injury, but there are some injuries that are more closely associated with these devastating accidents than others. These include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are common to rollover accidents, and because they affect the brain, they are not only extremely serious but are also quite unpredictable. Our brains are so elemental to who we are that even a relatively minor injury can have significant emotional, physical, and financial consequences. A serious TBI is likely to be life-altering. Further, TBIs can be slow to present with symptoms, which makes them that much more dangerous.
- Neck Injuries – Neck injuries, such as whiplash, are the result of the head whipping back and forth on the neck (much like the cracking of a whip). These injuries are often exceedingly painful and slow to heal. Additionally, injuries to the neck can seriously impede freedom of movement and can lead to chronic problems.
- Broken Bones – A broken bone is an extremely painful injury that is very slow to heal. Additionally, complications can set in that lead to chronic pain and permanent disability.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries encompass injuries to any part of the spinal cord. Such injuries are generally quite painful and can lead to loss of feeling and movement below the injury site.
If Another Driver’s Negligence Causes Injuries in a Rollover, Consult with an Experienced San Francisco Car Accident Lawyer Today
Rollovers are among the deadliest accidents on our roadways, and if you’ve been so injured, the car accident attorneys at The Cartwright Law Firm, Inc. in San Francisco are here for you. Our dedicated legal team has the experience, skill, and determination to guide your claim toward a resolution that works for you. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at (415) 433-0444 today.