Whether you’re a first-time parent or are welcoming a younger sibling to your family, one thing remains the same: you don’t want to see your children come in harm’s way. The best thing you can do is prevent accidents from happening in the first place, and an excellent preventive measure on the road is to deploy proper car seat safety.
It’s the Law
Car seat laws vary by state, but every state does set certain requirements. Some general attributes about your child that are taken into consideration include:
Even though it’s pretty evident why you’d want your child to be property strapped in the vehicle, the sad fact remains that car crashes are the leading cause of death in children in the US. Of those who survive, more than 120,000 are injured.
The stress and emotional strain these types of cases place on impacted families are great. Just a few things you have to deal with include:
- Excessive medical bills
- Funeral expenses
- Dealing with insurance agents
- Court dates and the legal implications associated with improper car seat use
The best course of action you can take is to prevent your child from becoming the next victim in the first place, and here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk with proper car seat safety.
- Understand Car Seat Types: Car seats come in two primary forms: rear and front-facing. It’s critical you know which your child should be using. The car seat manufacturer will provide specific information regarding physical requirements, and only when your child has met certain milestones should they be moved on to front-facing car seats.
- Proper Installation: If you don’t have your car seat installed correctly, it’s not going to provide your child with the intended safety benefits. Every car seat has its specifications, and you should refer to your owner’s manual on how to properly install your car seat. It’s best to buy car seats new, so you have the proper instructions. Police and fire departments are willing to take a look to ensure you have yours installed correctly.
- Seat Belt Rules: Car safety isn’t just for babies. The safest place for children under age 12 is in the backseat with their safety belt buckled. Depending on your child’s height and weight, a booster seat can also help keep them out of harm’s way.
San Francisco Personal Injury Attorney You Can Count On
If you or a family member has already been impacted by injury or death related to car seat safety, it’s imperative you have someone on your team to ensure you’re protected. The penalties for improper car seat use can be severe depending on the nature of the situation.
When you work with the experienced team here at The Cartwright Law Firm, you can rest assured we know the best course of action to take to have the car seat nuances covered. We offer the following facts towards helping you make an informed decision.
- Over 60 years in business
- Recognized as a leading authority in personal injury and wrongful death
- Recognized by multiple quality standard organization entities
Don’t face these car seat injury challenges on your own. These cases can get complicated; we can provide you with competent legal consultation in the San Francisco area. Call today to schedule a case review.
For more information please visit our site.