Summertime means fun in the sun, and if there’s a pool around, that’s even better. Swimming pool accidents, however, happen, and they are often extremely serious. Drowning is obviously the most urgent threat, but there are other non-fatal injuries that can cause extreme damage. If your child was injured at a pool this summer, you need the professional legal counsel of an experienced Vacaville personal injury lawyer.
Drowning: The Statistics
The fact is that drowning is not always fatal, but it is always extremely dangerous. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) relays several dire statistics related to drowning, including that:
- In the years spanning from 2005 to 2014, an average of ten people died from unintentional drowning every day in the United States.
- Around one in five unintentional drowning deaths are children who are 14 and younger.
- For every child who drowns, another five children need emergency medical care for injuries related to nonfatal submersions.
- More than half of all victims of nonfatal drowning require hospitalization, while the hospitalization rate for all unintentional injuries is about six percent.
- Nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage.
Drowning, whether fatal or nonfatal, is a serious threat, but it’s not the only danger associated with swimming pool accidents.
Common Pool Accidents
There are several kinds of accidents that are most closely associated with pools, including:
- Slip and Fall Accidents – The wet area around pools and the slippery flooring in pool locker rooms can easily lead to slip and fall accidents. If your child slips and falls at the pool, he or she runs the risk of enduring a painful and slow-to-heal broken bone, a dangerous head injury, and more.
- Electrocutions – We all know that water and electricity are a dangerous combination. If the public or private pool that your child frequents is not careful about electrical safety, accidents involving electrocutions can be the result.
- Unsupervised Swimming – If the pool where your child swims does not have adequate supervision (in the form of a lifeguard or adult supervisor), the danger of drowning and other serious injuries increases.
Your Child’s Injury
If your child is spending time at the pool – whether at a hotel pool, a public pool, or a neighbor’s private pool – this summer, it’s important that the owner remains vigilant regarding safety. Pool owners who do not maintain strict safety protocols endanger everyone who uses their pools, but children are the most vulnerable to serious injury. If your child was injured at the pool this summer, it’s time to consult with an experienced Vacaville personal injury lawyer.
If a Pool Owner’s Negligence Caused Injuries to Your Child, Contact a Knowledgeable Vacaville personal injury lawyer Today
Pool accidents are among the most dangerous accidents for children. If someone else’s negligence caused your child to be injured at the pool this summer, the dedicated personal injury attorneys at The Cartwright Law Firm, Inc. in Vacaville, California, have the skill, experience, and compassion to aggressively advocate for the compensation to which you’re entitled. We’re here to help, so please contact us online or call us at (415) 433-0444 for more information today.