Even though the drivers of tractor-trailers and big rigs must have a commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs), these drivers can still bring about serious matter vehicle collisions. In many instances, driver error and negligence is the cause of a serious accident. At other times, however, the trucking company or a truck repair facility may be fully or partially to blame.
If you have suffered injuries in a serious truck accident, you may be eligible to make a claim against the truck driver, trucking company, or repair facility’s insurance carrier. The knowledgeable Vacaville personal injury lawyers at The Cartwright Law Firm, Inc. can review your legal matter with you and help you explore options for pursuing compensation in your case.
Truck Driver Negligence
When a large truck or big rig collides with a passenger vehicle, the consequences can be severe. This is especially true in cases where the large truck is moving at a high rate of speed. In some instances, a truck driver’s negligence is the primary cause of the accident. Truck driver negligence can take many different forms, including the following:
- Grossly experiencing the posted speed limit for trucks
- Failing to comply with federal and state motor carrier regulations, especially with regard to load limits and loading and unloading trailers
- Failing to properly secure cargo to the trailer, allowing it to fall off into the roadway
- Failing to use turn signals when weaving in and out of heavy traffic
- Operating a big rig or tractor-trailer while fatigued
- Operating a big rig or tractor and trailer while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Engaging in distracted driving such as using a cell phone, GPS, or another electronic device unlawfully while operating the truck
Trucking Company Negligence
Trucking companies have a responsibility to hire capable and well-trained truck drivers to operate their trucks. If an employment relationship exists between a trucking company and a particular truck driver, and the truck driver negligently causes an accident, then the trucking company could share in some or all of the blame. Moreover, a trucking company could be responsible for negligently retaining or hiring a truck driver who has a bad driving record or a history of DUI’s while behind the wheel.
Truck Repair Facility Negligence
Truck repair facilities have a duty to make repairs to large trucks and trailers in a capable and workmanlike manner. When they fail to do so, and a serious collision results, then the repair facility could be held responsible under the law. The accident victim could then file a claim or lawsuit which names the truck repair facility as a party to the case.
Call a Vacaville Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Truck accidents can result in serious injuries. The sad thing, though, is that many of these accidents can be avoided. If you have suffered an injury in a truck accident, the knowledgeable and experienced legal team at The Cartwright Law Firm, Inc. could assist.