Maurice Fitzgerald is an experienced trial attorney and mediator, who focuses primarily on employment law. Over the last 25 years he has represented individuals, partnerships and corporations in all manner of disputes, including employment law, real estate, construction, personal injury and commercial litigation. Mr. Fitzgerald’s current focus on employment practice includes prosecution of employment and housing discrimination matters under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (“FEHA”), the Unruh Act, and Federal law, as well as disability discrimination matters under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. He counsels individuals on all aspects of the FEHA, and the development of preventive policies and procedures to reduce the potential for employment and fair housing claims.
Mr. Fitzgerald received his formal mediation training at the Harvard Negotiation Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and has mediated hundreds of cases to conclusion as both mediator and advocate. He serves as panel mediator for the Marin County Superior Court.
Bringing a perceptive developed through representing both employees and formally management, Mr. Fitzgerald conducts seminars and lectures to consumer advocacy groups, general counsel and trial lawyer organizations on a multitude of litigation topics including: employee rights under the Fair Employment and Housing Act, claims prevention, fair employment hiring and firing practices, FMLA/CFRA rights and compliance, independent contractor classification matters, and wage and hour issues. This wealth of experience makes Mr. Fitzgerald a particularly effective advocate.
An active member of the St. Francis Yacht Club, Mr. Fitzgerald has chaired numerous committees, served as General Counsel and now sits on its Board of Directors.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Real Estate
- Personal Injury
- Commercial Litigation
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- University of California, Davis School of Law, Davis, California – 1990
- University of California, Berkeley – 1986
Honors and Awards
- Harvard Program on Negotiation and Mediation, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Western Trial Lawyers Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- California Lawyers Association (CELA)