Sexual assault is a reprehensible crime that often leaves its victims shattered. An experienced sexual assault attorney will skillfully advocate for the justice you need to begin healing and moving forward with your life.
Sexual assault is a senseless crime that leaves its victims scared and unsure of where to turn for help. Every year, hundreds of thousands report being sexually assaulted, and many more understandably lack the strength to come forward. If you’ve been sexually assaulted, you owe it to yourself and to your recovery to consult with an experienced San Francisco sexual assault attorney today.
In the State of California, sexual assault is known as sexual battery, and it is defined as one person touching another person’s intimate body parts against the other person’s will and specifically for the abuser’s sexual gratification or arousal – or for the specific purpose of abuse. At the most basic level, this is considered misdemeanor sexual battery, but an aggravating component can elevate it to a felony charge.
Sexual Battery: Aggravated Forms
Those aggravating factors that can bump a misdemeanor charge up to a felony and cause greater harm to victims include:
- The Unlawful Restraint of the Victim – If the abuser unlawfully restrains the victim of his or her abuse, the charge becomes a felony. Unlawful restraint here refers to restricting the person’s control over his or her own liberty or freedom of movement. Such restraint does not have to be physical but can involve the use of words, actions, or authority that serves to limit the victim’s personal freedom.
- The Victim Was in a Medical Facility for Treatment – If the victim was in a hospital, nursing home, treatment facility, or any other kind of medical facility and suffered from a serious disability, this can qualify as an aggravating factor that will elevate the charge to a felony.
Rape refers to the act of having sexual intercourse with a person who did not give consent, and the victim can be a stranger, an acquaintance, an intimate partner, or a spouse.
Harm from Sexual Assault
Sexual assault can cause many types of physical and mental harm to victims, including:
- Physical wounds from violence or restraint
- Injuries to the genital areas
- Sexually-transmitted diseases
- Dealing with an unwanted pregnancy
- Mental trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
While a criminal case aims to punish the offender, it often fails to cover the losses of the sexual assault victim. This can require filing a civil case for personal injury against the assailant. Victims of all ages can seek compensation for their losses by pursuing a civil claim.
You Need an Experienced San Francisco Sexual Assault Attorney on Your Side
No one should have to endure sexual assault, and while the criminal courts deal with the criminal aspects of these crimes, victims of sexual abuse can seek civil justice in the form of a monetary claim that addresses the damages sustained. The dedicated and compassionate San Francisco sexual assault attorneys at The Cartwright Law Firm, Inc., recognize how difficult moving forward with such a case can be, and we’re committed to doing everything within our power to help you achieve a case resolution that provides you some degree of comfort. You and your case are very important, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at (415) 433-0444 to learn more today.